I want you to know that this is one of the most interesting, wonderful, challenging, and worthwhile classes you will ever take. It will push you to be creative, to think about things you’ve never known to exist before. It make you ask questions (many, many questions) like what is Audacity? and why does it keep quitting on me? But most importantly it will be some of the most fun you do all semester. I won’t lie and say it’s an easy class. It demands a lot of your time and if you don’t have the extra couple of hours to dedicate to it, then this might not be the class for you.
I can’t tell you how much I’ve learned over this semester or how much I’m going to take away with me once it’s over. But here is a short list of things I’ve learned:
1. How to create and run a blog
2. How to create, alter, mash up digital media
3. That Jim Groom is an amazing professor who will answer any questions you have so long as you make the effort to ask
4. That I can be creative, even in a field I knew nothing about before
5. That the internet is far more vast, useful, amazing, and confusing, than I ever thought possible…and that’s cool
If you take the time to take the class you won’t regret it. It’s not for everyone, but everyone who sticks it out will enjoy it. I’ll admit…I’ve been very frustrated with some aspects of one or two of the projects…but I wouldn’t change having taken the class for anything. I’ve definitely enjoyed every minute of it. Take a chance…you might surprise yourself with how much fun you can have and how much you’ll learn.
a proud DS106er till the end!